April 20th, 2007
I love writing that makes its point by stressing the opposite. It can be tricky to walk that line, because some people won’t catch it and end up being hurt or offended, but I think the payoff is generally good.
I was going through the Rhymes With Orange archives and found “The Rhymes With Orange Checklist to Feeling Pathetic,” and thought I’d share it with you. It’s in comic form originally, of course, but I present it to you here in bullet points:
- Choose someone and compare yourself unfavorably to them.
- Examine your face closely in the mirror. Note all flaws.
- Relive embarrassing/awful moments that occured years ago.
- Make a mental note of all the people you regularly disappoint.
- Disregard all compliments, especially from people who (supposedly) love you.
- Resign yourself to believing that from now on, this is how you will always feel.
I don’t know about you, but I can check many of those off on many days.
I should probably knock that off.
If it makes you feel better….I've consulted with my siblings…and it's genetic.
I just deal and go on.
Are you out of your mind…that's aweful! I'm all for humility but stay far, far away from that…