Star Wars Marathon
This Saturday marks a first for me. Sure, I’ve seen all the Star Wars movies before, and several times at that. But this Saturday will be the first time I’ll watch them all in a row. To make this occasion slightly less nerdy, I’ve invited other people over to watch them with me. If you’re reading this, consider yourself invited.
I realize that it will be a relatively small number of people who attend this, and I also realize that the number of people who come for all six movies will be even smaller. That’s why I’ve made a handy little timeline for the day:
- The Phantom Menace: 7:00 a.m.
- Attack of the Clones: 9:21 a.m.
- Revenge of the Sith: 12:03 p.m.
- A New Hope: 2:27 p.m.
- The Empire Strikes Back: 4:36 p.m
- Return of the Jedi: 6:48 p.m.
There’s a 5-minute break between each movie, with a 20-minute break scheduled before the start of Episode III. The projected end time is 9:02 p.m.
I toyed briefly with the idea of including the Clone Wars in the lineup, but that made an already-long day even longer, and I figured I was pushing my luck as it was.
A couple of notes about the day:
- I will do everything in my power to stick to the timetable, believe you me.
- I’m pretty sure there will be discussion during the viewings. Our resident Star Wars historian is planning to be there, and I’m sure we will all learn a thing or two :)
- There’s wireless Internet available at my place, so if you need to bring your laptop and do some work to make yourself feel better about spending the day watching Star Wars, feel free.
- I’m thinking pizza for lunch (that’s the 20-minute break), so bring a couple of bucks for that.
- I will provide soda.
- Hey, bring some snacks with you, that’d be cool! If we snack enough, we won’t notice that I didn’t schedule a 20-minute supper break.
- I do have two cats, so drug yourself up if you’re allergic.
- I’ve been told my apartment is chilly, so you might want to dress accordingly.
- There isn’t a whole lot of seating, so if you’ve got a beanbag or a camp chair or something, feel free to bring that along. When I buy a house, I’ll make sure the theater room seats 50, but for now this is pretty much what I have.
Don’t let the structuredness fool you – I think it’s going to be a fun time for those who show up. A big screen TV, 5.1 surround sound, and the original versions of Episodes IV-VI… what’s not to love?? Come for the ones you want to see – no need to stay all day if you don’t want to see them all. That’s why Phantom Menace is showing at 7:00 a.m. – if you oversleep, you aren’t missing much.
And if this goes well, the next one will an all-day Lord of the Rings marathon.