We Have A Winner!
I don’t know how much you all enjoyed this little contest, but I got more than enough enjoyment out of it for all of us. It was fun to watch your guesses and see not only how many movies you thought I might have but also what movies you thought might be in my collection.
Here are the guesses for what the first movie in my collection is from an alphabetical point of view:
- 12 Angry Men – Not only do I not own this, I’ve never actually seen it.
- 12 Monkeys (twice) – I do own this one. Woo, Bruce Willis!
- 13 Going on 30 – I do not own this one, but have been tempted to buy it because of one simple fact: Thriller Dance!
- 2 Fast 2 Furious – This guess cracked me up so much, and I can’t even explain why. It’s not a movie I’m interested in even a little, but Mary A. gets an Honorable Mention for making me laugh!
- 2001: A Space Odyssey – This movie was boring and pretentious and I didn’t like it. Sorry, film buffs!
- Absolute Power – While I do love Clint Eastwood and have several of his movies, this is not one of them.
- Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls – I’m curious why G-Knee picked the second one in the series. I mean, yeah, I own them both, but why not choose the first one?
- Adaptation – Yep. Own it.
- Adventures of Milo & Otis – Used to own it on videotape, but don’t have it on DVD. Yet.
- Air Force One – You know, I should get this one. It’s been a long time since I saw it and I remember liking it.
The actual first movie in my collection: The 6th Day, Arnold Schwarzenegger’s take on cloning. 12 Monkeys is the second one in my collection, so pretty close guessing! (And I’m a stickler for numerical/alphabetical order, so that’s why “6” comes before “12” in my list, even if most alphabetizing rules will say the “1” in “12” trumps the “6” and should come first. Disagree all you want, but that’s how it is.)
I won’t list everyone’s guesses as to how many “S” movies I have, but I have 54 of them. Seems like an awful lot! That’s 14.516% of my collection! Consider that many of them are Star Trek and Star Wars movies, though, so I guess it makes sense. Peter H. was the closest on this guess with 56.
I did not need to use the tiebreakers, however, as there emerged a very late and very clear winner. Here is the list of guesses on the actual number, ranked from lowest number to highest:
- Brian Arnold: 217
- Jeremiah: 223
- Scott: 260
- the obscure: 270
- Wendles: 301
- Angela: 326
- Danna: 344
- Peter C. Hayward: 412
- Carolyn: 417
- Meags: 549
- G-Knee: 622
- The Bon: 636
- magley: 777
- Gretchen: 857
- Lorelei: 865
- TwoSticks: Eleventeen hundred and one (I’m not even sure how to write that as an actual number.)
This list made me alternately feel like I’ve been slacking and like I’ve underachieved. I don’t know whether to sell of my collection or start buying more!
Actual number of movies I own on DVD: 372. Yes, I own many TV shows on DVD, but they were not counted.
Ladies and gentlemen, please allow me to introduce to you the winner of the first ever MadMup.com Contest:
Peter H. had it all wrapped up from the get-go until Danna’s close-to-last-minute entry, so there’s sure to be some bitterness there for a while.
Thanks to all who participated! I hope you had fun and I’m fairly certain there will be more contests in the future, so be on the lookout for them!
(Danna: I’ll contact you about getting your mailing info and get your mug out to you as soon as possible.)
Loved the contest! Congrats Danna!
Cant wait for the next one!
Oh my word, no way!! 44 is my lucky number, & for some reason I decided 300 sounded good with it. AHHHHH!!! I hope my drinking from my mug brings you much publicity! Oh . . . wait . . . no one ever sees me!!! Shucks.
I'm really quite tickled here. :o)
Hey thanks…this was FUN! I liked your comments on our guesses. Really cool.
That was exciting! I see your argument, but I still think that 12 comes before 6, haha.
Also, 2001: A Space Odyssey was pretty boring…
I like blog-contests. I have little ones, but they're usually small, random questions and I have a point tally on my user info page. I might use this contest… how exciting.
I calclulated the s component of your collection as 8% of my guess. Way off there, as well.
I thought 2001:SO was actually pretty interesting. Furthermore, I thought you would have liked it for the simple reason that so much if it is solely background music, that you would be able to yap all you like. Sort of the Ultimate Madmup Party Movie!!
wow. I could have won a mug. I still have that one from Sayers, so I guess I can't say you never gave me anything…
aw, dang. I should have submitted my guess – I would have won. Oh, well, I already have more mugs than I can use, and I'm sure Danna will get far more joy out of her prize than I ever could. :)
First Madmup set a deadline of 5pm then he saw Peter, who he didn't want to win, in the lead, until 5:30 pm when Danna, who he would much rather win, posted a guess closer, so he extended the deadline to 7 pm. Very strategic. If I'm Peter I'm asking, "At what time did MadMup extend the deadline?"
On an totally unrelated note…I love your new pic. in the corner. Nice phone! And too, I purchased a new mouse today…I'll have to tell you about it sometime ;-P
So.. under W… "Warbus", "Warbus 2", "Warbus: the Musical?"